Sunday, March 12, 2017

A Bit Unconventional

I know an essential part of choosing a genre may be exploring how to go against it. With that in mind, how will I challenge the conventional aspects of a fashion magazine?

Even though magazines similar to Vogue and Harper's Bazaar are usually known for their elegance and sophistication, they have released some issues with an "edgy" feel. This leaves me stuck at a crossroad and I'm not sure which way to go, its a battle between edgy vs. elegant, what would you choose? After "pinteresting" for a while, I've pinned onto my board a few of my favorite samples that I can use to make my decision.




Achieving an artistic look while remaining classy and fashionable is difficult, but after researching and comparing some layouts, I think I'm leaning more towards an edgy theme. I feel it will give me more leniency when editing and designing creative, abstract looks, after all, I love a great challenge!

If you've ever looked through a fashion magazine, you know they aren't exclusively about fashion. Even the most popular fashion-based magazines include elements of science, music, art, social issues,  lifestyle, beauty, etc. This website highlights the content of the most prominent magazines in the genre; for example, both Elle and Marie Claire discuss mainly fashion, but also contain information about relationships, politics, and women's issues. For my magazine, I'm most likely going to focus only on fashion. This is tricky, not only because it may narrow my audience, but because fashion often overlaps with the other topics I named above, so its easy to veer off topic. But I don't think it will set me back; instead, I think it will give my audience a greater incentive to buy it. There does not exist a magazine based solely on fashion, so for instance, those who do not buy Vogue, because they aren't interested in the aspects of science and beauty that are included, will feel an even greater appeal for my magazine. Still, I believe this will not take away from my project because readers of the genre will still be attracted because of the mere fact that it will be about fashion. The stylish tips, trends, and outfits I plan to include in my magazine will be able to appeal to my initial target audience, young adults to those in their 30's, so age and social class should not be affected.

Another unconventional aspect I'm going to try to achieve will have to do with the type of images that I will include. Usually, when looking at the front cover of magazines the models are facing forward, looking directly into the camera. In fashion magazines, the model is often times part of the brand and marketing strategy, so the focus of the image is both on the clothes and the models, which is why the models face is shown almost all of the time. For my magazine, my intention is to expose mainly the clothes, so in order to achieve this I will not show the faces of my models. By cutting off the faces of the models I hope to draw much more attention to the outfits and and the colors. Lets see how it turns out in a few weeks when I shoot....

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment