Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Work in Progress

What is a magazine without its content? As part of my Foundation Portfolio Project, I am required to include a table of contents and fortunately,  I woke up with all the inspiration I need. To start off, I jotted down some notes and ideas for content and articles that I may include in the table of contents or as my double-page spread:
  • Patterns, how to face the new pattern trend head on, tips on mixing & matching different patterns
  • Summer trends
  • Street style chic
  • Fashion month highlights
  • Accessories galore, styling hats/shoes/jewelry
  • Feminist fashion
  • Developing your personal fashion sense
  • Looks for less
These ideas regarding the content came to me fairly quickly, but how about my layout? This blog post by Canva's design school gives students, like me, examples and feedback on different types of designs for a contents page.

Background picture gives the page a dramatic effect
and contrasts sharply with the text

The large font and the bold page numbers, followed by the
titles of the articles, gives the page depth and makes it easier to read
Using Pinterest, I also pinned some of the appealing layouts I found onto my board.
Placing the word "index" on the spine of the magazine draws
the readers attention, including pictures makes the page more visually appealing


Minimalistic layout and bold text underscores the edgy/dark
theme of the magazine

Having all these resources to learn and draw inspiration from is really exciting, they really get all of my creative juices flowing. When I start designing, I am going to make sure to keep an open mind, using all the inspo I've seen and tips I've been given to create the perfect table of contents.

Citations
Maria Jose. "Designing the Perfect Table of Contents: 50 Examples to Show You How." Design School. Canva, 06 Jan. 2016. Web. 12 Mar. 2017. <https://designschool.canva.com/blog/table-of-contents-design/>.

No comments:

Post a Comment