Thursday, March 23, 2017

Layouts, Layouts, and More Layouts

Now that the due date is approaching, I have to start thinking about my double page spread. A few weeks ago, my teacher assigned this article by The Guardian that gives tips for blogging, but I've also been using these tips to help me with my magazine. The article is absolutely amazing, it advises bloggers to write about what they love, to include lots of images, and to create catchy titles for posts, but in this case, I'm drawing inspiration from the tip that says "provide easy reading." The article suggests using bullet points and lists to grab people's attentions, a strategy that I'm feeling increasingly inclined to adopt. Harper's Bazaar does this really interesting thing called #THELIST, where they literally list cool trends, outfits, ideas, and guides depending on the category. Their list about spring 2017 trends is so on point and it really caught my attention since doing a spread about summer trends is a possibility for me. I love that the black/white, minimalistic design of the page causes the colorful pictures to stand out. In another article shown to me by my teacher, InDesign provides various ideas for magazine layouts, they even specifically include one of Harper's Bazaar #THELIST print layouts, instead of the digital link I used as an example above.

 

In the same article, InDesign also includes this layout from another one of Harper's Bazaar Magazines, where the text wraps around Alexa Chung's figure. This is a creative way to get out of your comfort zone and according to InDesign, it is "a great technique for better integrating photography with text to create a unified look."


Now it's time for me to think about MY layout, wish me luck!

Citations
Cowan, Katy. "Top Tips for a Successful Blog." The Guardian. Guardian News and Media, 17 Nov. 2011. Web. 13 Mar. 2017. <https://www.theguardian.com/culture-professionals-network/culture-professionals-blog/2011/nov/17/top-tips-successful-blog>.

Pieri, Kerry. "#TheLIST: 11 Spring Trends to Try Now." Harper's BAZAAR. N.p., 14 Oct. 2016. Web. 13 Mar. 2017. <http://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/trends/g6825/spring-trends-2016/>.

"Fresh Ideas for Improving Your Magazine Layouts." InDesign Skills. InDesign Skills, 24 May 2016. Web. 13 Mar. 2017. <http://www.indesignskills.com/inspiration/magazine-layout-design/#>.



No comments:

Post a Comment