Saturday, March 11, 2017

Thank You Google Translate

After an hour of translating fashion-related words from English to French to Italian, I finally came up with a name. When I chose fashion as the genre for my magazine, I pictured having a foreign name on the masthead, something elegant but also catchy. But after what seemed like three hours of translating words, everything seemed either too cliché, too long, or too hard to pronounce which resulted in frustration. Feeling a bit conquered, I took a loooong break.

Now, a day later, I came up with a whole new strategy. Instead of using a foreign word that few people would recognize, I figured my brand name should just be in English. Something short and sweet, but still classy. At least this way, my primarily American audience would be able to understand it. My idea of including a little bit of French or Italian would just have to be embedded into the magazine's text in phrases like "à la mode" or "chic."

Now for the great reveal! My magazine will be called..... drum roll, please..... Posh!
Sounds a little dull if I just say it like that, but trust me, once you see it on the cover page, with pictures and colors, you'll love it! As a matter of fact, the definition of the word "posh" is stylish and fashionable, so it's a perfect fit.

Using media kits from Vogue RussiaElle, and Interview Magazine, I've compiled a list of the usual demographics associated with fashion media outlets, specifically magazines.
  • middle and high social class
  • young adults and adults, ages 17-35
  • college educated
  • employed
  • primarily female
  • professional elite
  • people with creative vocations (designers, artists, stylists, photographers, etc.)
  • both single and married women
Citations
"Vogue - Audience." Conde Nast Russia. Vogue Russia, n.d. Web. 08 Mar. 2017.

"Elle Media Kit 2015." ELLE MEDIA KIT 2015 EDITORIAL MISSION (2015): n. pag. MediaRadar. Web. 8 Mar. 2017. <http://www.ellemediakit.com/hotdata/publishers/ellemk/advertiser/8231536/2818385/ELLE-2015-Media-Kit.pdf>.

"Media Kit Russia 2015." Media Kit Russia 2015 (n.d.): n. pag. Media Kit Russia 2015. Interview. Web. 8 Mar. 2017. <http://www.interviewrussia.ru/public/mk/mk_2015_eng.pdf>.

No comments:

Post a Comment