Thursday, March 16, 2017

Bold and Bright

Piece by piece my Foundation Portfolio is coming together, but a big chunk that I haven't searched for is the color palette. As soon as I decided I was going to go for an edgy look, I new wanted bold and bright colors. When my teacher was giving a lesson on the importance of colors in media, she shared an Esquire article about the color palettes of famous movies, one of them being Moulin Rouge! (2001) directed by Baz Luhrmann.

The color palette in Moulin Rouge, as shown above, has a wide range of eye-catching, fun colors to depict the parties and the lifestyle that characterized the era. Looking at the colors alone, without the scene of the movie, they also carry a retro feeling that might appeal to my magazine. Even though the the color palette is darker than what I want, it does have similarities to what I'm visualizing. In my research, I also came across Pantone's fashion color report for this spring, which is more like a pastel version of Moulin Rouge's palette. Both of these color schemes are along the lines of what I want, so I'm thinking of combining the two of them while also adding my own little touch to make the them even more brighter and bolder. Every color in the magazine should captivate my audience, so in my opinion, using vivid (maybe even neon) colors for the clothes and the text will achieve just that.



Citations
Griffin, Elizabeth, and Adam Hurly. "50 Iconic Films and Their Color Palettes." Esquire. N.p., 22 May 2016. Web. 12 Mar. 2017. <http://www.esquire.com/style/news/g2760/color-palettes-iconic-films/?slide=46>.

Pressman, Laurie. "PANTONE Fashion Color Report Spring 2017." PANTONE. Pantone Color Institute, 23 Sept. 2016. Web. 12 Mar. 2017. <http://www.pantone.com/fashion-color-report-spring-2017?from=topNav>.

No comments:

Post a Comment